Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Rupublican Rhetoric!!!

OK... So last night I went to dinner with my department after a long day of seemingly endless meetings. Let me preface this posting by saying that I truly enjoy the team that I work with. We are in a unique position to be on the front lines of an amazing company. We drive and continually improve the growth and direction of Red Robin. Truthfully, there is not a single person, out of the ten I work with, that I do not like or have a great working relationship with. With that said, working for a restaurant company the opportunities to talk politics is minimal.

Last night was a welcomed opportunity to do this. I am thankful that this year's race and debacle over the last eight years, has heightened people awareness and stymied much of the apathy that has plagued our great country. However, it is my belief that the past years have not dulled the nonsensical thinking of our dear brothers and sisters that dwell on the right. It is funny that you can spent so much time with people in a "non political" environment and know so little about their beliefs and ideologies.

Now for the just of it. As we were waiting for our sushi to be diced and rolled we began talking about this year's presidential candidates and where our support lies. Please know that despite the fact that I do not know much about my colleagues stances, there is little doubt as to where my beliefs, upbringing and ideologies lie. Now as we were going around the table announcing our candidates, one of the gentlemen from our team states the following, "How could you support Obama, when he is the anti-Christ!". Several of us, with raised brows and shocked faces look to John for clarification. He goes on to say that any Democrat, who is charismatic, can speak the way Obama does, has to be the second coming of Satan. Needless to say, I was appalled and challenged such a ludicrous statement. Trust me when I say there was not a hint of rational behind this argument.

Why is that someone who is charismatic, engaging and pigmented has to be labeled "evil" by the right. I wonder why we cant celebrate someone who engages, unites and motivates voters across the board.


Ridiculous!

Sorry but I had to vent!

Have a great rest of the week!

No comments: